Sunday, May 2, 2010

(Part 2) The nerd in me...

Well, as per my previous post, I was pondering doing whole 'Android on iPhone' deal.  Well, I did it.  Picked up a used, but in very good condition iPhone 2G for stupid cheap on Friday, and proceeded to mess with it a bit when I got home from work.  By that night, I got the iPhone dual booting, and loading Android 1.6.  A few of the homies got so see it boot, but it would not run due to an error in the SMS subsystem.

Saturday morning, I got back to work on it, reloading everything, and now it is fairly functional.  I can make/receive calls with it, send/receive text messages, and browse the internet on WiFi.  The concept is there, and the work being done by others looks very promising.  I will continue to toy with it as things develop, it is still not ready for consumer use.  The developer teams still need to work on a few things such as cellular data, button mapping, battery drain, SD card emulation, and much more before the average user can use it.  That, and the pain in the butt process that is used to get it all on to the iPhone in the first place.

If you want more information on progress with this project, there is a ton of information here that I've been following: http://www.idroidproject.org/forum/

But since everyone likes proof with pictures, here is my Apple 'iDroid' sharing the spotlight with my daily phone (Google Nexus One):


Boot up screen:














Home screen:














System properties screen (with Nexus One on the same screen for comparison):

No comments:

Post a Comment