Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Driving in a Winter Wonderland!

So this will be the first full winter that I'll get to be driving the Subaru.  I have heard from other people about how fun it is, and how sure footed they are in snow and ice, but never really had a good experience with it with the exception of a quick dump of snow that melted within 2 hours early this year.  That all changed today, and boy were these people right.  Coupled with good winter tires (Kumho IcePower KW21s), the AWD system is a blast to drive in snow and ice!

Had to be at work early today to get some stuff done, so I planned on leaving home early, but left even earlier after I looked outside since I know that most Calgary drivers forget how to drive when the first snowfall hits.  And to my surprise, I got to work in 15 minutes, as opposed to the normal 20-25 minute drive I usually take.  Most of it had to do with the fact that everyone was driving so slow that I just went around everyone.  It felt like I was driving on dry pavement, I loved it!

And as a side note, anyone that lives in Calgary should definitely invest in winter tires.  They will pay for themselves in your safety and confidence.  All seasons don't cut it, and if you don't believe me, then look on the internet for some information on how well all season tires work in our kind of climate.  In short, they don't.  People say they've been fine with all seasons for so long, but after their first set, they will never drive a winter without them.  And if you hit my car and you're on all seasons, you are gonna get a big earful from me.

What awaited me this morning when I opened the garage (I was actually excited for it):

Getting worse midway through my drive to work (don't worry, I'm not stupid, you can see on the speedometer that I was stopped):

The scene where I park at work (just before I tore up the snow going in circles!):

Later on in the day, Jen-Ette in her natural element:

2 comments:

  1. I love that last shot.
    The placement of the fatlace sticker is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ Thanks J. Stood behind my car for nearly an hour holding the sticker deciding where to put it. :P

    ReplyDelete